Quick and Easy Recipes
cook get like mom!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as my as I do!
Macaroni & Cheese is one of those comfort food dishes that everyone seems to love. This one is fairly simple, yet can get complex flavors.
- 1 Onion
- 50g Butter
- 40g Flour
- 750ml Milk
- Cayenne Pepper
- 325g Aged Cheddar
- 3 Rashers Bacon (or 6 sliced of American bacon)
- 10ml Vegetable Oil
Note that I use no salt at all, as the combination of cheese and bacon is plenty to salt up the dish. I also use cayenne pepper rather than regular pepper, as it has a bit more flavor. The intent is not to make the dish spicy, however.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Cut the bacon in small pieces (1cm x 3cm or 0.5″ x 1.5″).
- In a non-stick pan, add the vegetable oil and the bacon.
- Turn the heat on medium-high and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally.
- When the water boils, pour the macaroni in, and stir well to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick in a lump.
- When the bacon is browned, put it to drain on a plate with a paper towel. Note bacon continues cooking, so don’t leave it too late!
- Peel the onion, and diced it in small pieces. Set aside.
- Grate all the cheese. Set aside.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain in a strainer, and rinse quickly with cold water. Finish draining completely.
- Put the butter in a pan, and melt it on medium heat.
- Add the onions and sweat them ’till they turn translucent.
- Take the pan off the heat, add the flour, and mix well.
- Put the pan back on the heat, and stir the mixture well. It will quickly form a “ball”.
- Keep cooking the mix of butter, onion and flour until just before it starts browning.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the very cold milk. Let sit 2 or 3 minutes without stirring.
- Put the pan back on the heat, stirring gently, until it is simmering.
- Add the bay leaf, and cayenne pepper (I use the tip of a paring knife to measure the cayenne)
- Let the sauce simmer, stirring gently occasionally for about 10 minutes. It should have thickened considerably by then.
- Add about half of the grated cheese to the sauce, and stir well.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C (350°F).
- Mix the cooked pasta, bacon and sauce together well.
- Put the macaroni & cheese in an oven-proof dish.
- Put the remaining half of the grated cheese on top of the dish, spreading it evenly.
- Place the dish, uncovered, in the oven, and bake until the cheese is melted and has browned.